Current Soundtrack: Big K.R.I.T. – The Vent
It’s football season folks and I love tailgating foods almost as much as actual tailgating. Today I’m gonna kick the traditional sausage balls up a notch and turn them into jalapeno sausage balls with two types of cheese.
First grab 1 lbs. of breakfast sausage. I prefer to use mild country sausage. Throw it in a mixing bowl.
Next chop up 3 medium sized jalapenos and throw ’em in the bowl.
You can dial down the jalapenos if you don’t want so much heat… ya pansy.
Next is the cheese. The glorious cheese. Throw in 2 cups of cheese. I used some store bought finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese and then I grated up some Gouda cheese. I love Gouda cheese.
Then it’s time to add some baking mix or Bisquick mix, whichever one you have. I just used the big box stores value brand baking mix.
Then you wanta get in there with your hands and mix it up. I mix mine to where the baking mix has been well incorporated into the sausage. It should look like this:
Then It’s time to get ya roll on. I pinched the meat mixture and rolled each clump into a ball. You wanna do this to be a tad bit smaller than a golf ball. I got 27 out of the 1 lbs. of ground sausage.
I thought I could add a bit more flavor to the sausage balls and added by BBQ dry rub. You can get the recipe right here.
Then into the cooker. I was already smoking some bacon wrapped bratwursts and bacon wrapped luncheon loaf with apple wood. Yup, I said luncheon loaf. — It was a joke purchase that actually didn’t turn out too bad.
…and clearly it’s time for me to scrub the vertical water smoker out. I smoked these at a higher temperature at around 325 Degrees Fahrenheit for around 30 minutes, until the sausage was cooked through.
And there you have it. Beautiful cheesy jalapeno sausage balls. Enjoy!
- 1 lbs. Breakfast Sausage
- 3 Medium Sized Jalapenos, Chopped
- 2 Cups Cheese, Shredded
- 2 Cups Baking Mix
- Place ground sausage in mixing bowl.
- Chop jalapeno peppers and place in mixing bowl.
- Add 2 Cups of cheese to mixing bowl.
- Add 2 Cups of baking mix to mixing bowl.
- Using hands, mix well until blended.
- Pinch out meat mixture and roll into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- Preheat outdoor cooker to 325 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place rolled sausage balls on cooker grid.
- Add a chunk of your favorite hard wood.
- Smoke for 30 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
- Remove and place on paper towels to drain any grease off.
- Serve and watch 'em disappear.
- Add a dry rub or spices to the sausage balls before cooking.